Monday, November 29, 2010

I Can't Do Everything

As I wrote my last blog post, the following song kept echoing in my mind. I hadn't heard it or sung it in years, so I couldn't really remember the lyrics; just first few lines of each stanza. I don't know about you, but when I get a song stuck in my mind, it haunts me until I play it, sing it, or at least read the words. I hope you don't mind me sharing it here. Maybe it will speak to you, also. Maybe I'm not the only one who needed to listen to this song today.

“I Can’t Do Everything” – Michael McLean from Celebrating the Light
(Click here to purchase or listen to a sample of the song)

I can’t do everything. I know because I tried.
I told myself I could, and then I found out I lied.
I believed with all my heart that I could do it all,
But I can’t do everything, and when I try I fall.

I can’t please everyone. I know because I tried.
I needed their love so much, sometimes I compromised.
But the more I live and learn, the more I clearly see
That I can’t please anyone, until I’m pleased with me.

So, here I am asking with all my heart
For the feelings I have been dreaming of.
Just fill the empty spaces that keep us apart,
And help me find myself in your love.

'Cause I can't do anything
without some help from above.
And I can’t please anyone until I know I’m loved.
And I believe I’m loved.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

I'm working on the believing I'm loved part ... it's coming, one step on this journey at a time.

3 comments:

Kenz said...

A very beautiful, touching song.

Try to keep smiling. Someone told me to, "fake it till you make it!" Though that may not be the best piece of advice, remember you have many people, family and friends, that love you!

Anonymous said...

You are loved Steph and there is no better feeling in the world than knowing that someone loves you. It's the best natural high. My mission president told us to "Fake it until you feel it." So believe it!

Maddie said...

This is what I mean when I say Heavenly Father helps us through other people. I needed that, too. Thanks, Steph. I love you, He loves you.

Love, Me