Saturday, January 22, 2011

Boundaries Part 2.5: Letting Go ...

I think I should start collecting an advertising fee from Michael McLean, since I keep sharing his lyrics on my blog. His songs speak so directly to what I have been reading and writing about recently. In high school, after buying the books of his sheet music, I would gather with friends or family around a piano and sing them over and over. I miss that.


"Let It Go"
Words and music by John Batdorf and Michael McLean

(to purchase this song, click here)

I can still recall the hour
my father told me it was time
to let it go.
Though it's mended wing had made it sing
He said the bird I cared for was not really mine,
Let it go.

"Letting go," he said, "seems to break your heart.
Though it will heal it feels slow to start."
Though the pain burned within me so,
He held me tight so I could let it go.

Years have passed since then,
And so has he, but I still hear his words,
"Let it go."
There's so much of life that can't be lived
When you're still holding on to hate and anger deep inside.
Let it go.

Letting go opens up the heart.
There is a new day hungry to start.
You can't change what has hurt you so,
But you will heal if you can let it go.

All that's wrong in your life
Let it go.
All that is worth saving is love.
Love will hold you tight,
Love lifts the burden,
And love shines the light.
Only love nourishes us so;
If it's not love, simply let it go.


3 comments:

Watson Family said...

I miss singing around the piano with family and friends, too. Precious memories taken for granted so long ago, but at least the lyrics still live in our hearts. I love that, and love you.

Polly Scott said...

I shouldn't sing or play the piano. But if I did, I would sing that song . . .

Anonymous said...

Play it again! For you. Let it heal you. This is part of the process for you right now. Let IT go. You will be happier, even though life is extremely difficult right now for you. Keep your chin up Steph!