Thursday, January 13, 2011

Can I help?

Last night, on my way to teach a night class at a local university, I stopped by a drinking fountain to refill my water bottle. I had my reminiscent-of-a-diaper-bag purse hanging from one shoulder, my binder of teaching materials bundled in my other arm, my cell phone clenched between my ear and shoulder, and my hip pushing against the dispenser button, as I leaned and stooped to avoid dropping both my purse and my phone. Strategically, I held the water bottle at the precise angle, hoping to catch at least half of the water spraying in its direction. The call had ended; still I was stuck in the position.

From my left, I heard, “Can I help?”

I couldn’t even turn to see who had said it, for fear of dropping my phone, though the voice was decidedly female. For a nanosecond I looked at everything I was simultaneously holding and doing. I thought of handing her my binder or setting down my purse. Then, I glanced at my water bottle, which was nearly as full as I could get it, at least at the awkward angle. “What was the point?” I figured.

“Oh, gosh, no, I’ve got it.” I straightened my body, but my head was still pressed against the cell phone on my shoulder.

“Are you sure?” she queried, walking slowly toward me.

I tightened the lid on the bottle, let the phone drop from my shoulder to my hand, and slipped it into my coat pocket.

“No, I’m good. Thanks for offering though.” I smiled, realizing I must have looked like I was in a circus balancing act, about to lose my grip on everything.

And, then it struck me. Over the past few days, I had received texts and phone calls from at least eight different people, co-workers, friends, neighbors, church members, and family who had asked almost the same thing: “What can I do to help?” Undoubtedly, to them I must look like I am in a circus balancing act, about to lose my grip on everything. And, I probably am.

It’s not that I don’t need help, it’s not that I don’t want help, it’s just that when I’m in the middle of my juggling act, I’m not sure what to hand over to someone else or I think I can just deal with it. I am definitely not good at accepting help and I’m even less good at asking for it. Intellectually, I know that having help does not mean I am incapable or weak, but I don’t want to be a burden to anyone or to have people feel sorry for me.

In Boundaries, Cloud and Townsend (1992) state: “Many times others have ‘burdens’ that are too big to bear. They do not have enough strength, resources, or knowledge to carry the load, and they need help. Denying ourselves to do for others what they cannot do for themselves is showing the sacrificial love of Christ. … On the other hand … everyone has responsibilities that only he or she can carry. These things are our own particular ‘load’ that we need to take daily responsibility for and work out. No one can do certain things for us” (p.30).

Cloud and Townsend (1992) clarify this concept further, by differentiating between the terms burden and load:

The Greek word for burden means “excess burdens,” or burdens that are so heavy that they weigh us down. These burdens are like boulders. … We need help with the boulders—those times of crisis and tragedy in our lives. In contrast, the Greek word for load means “cargo,” or “the burden of daily toil.” This word describes the everyday things we all need to do. These loads are like knapsacks. Knapsacks are possible to carry. We are expected to carry our own. We are expected to deal with our own feelings, attitudes, and behaviors, as well as the responsibilities God has given to each one of us, even thought it takes effort. Problems arise when people act as if their “boulders” are daily loads, and refuse help, or as if their “daily loads” are boulders they shouldn’t have to carry. The results of these two instances are either perpetual pain or irresponsibility. (p.30-31)

I know I am the only one who can make my decisions, feel my pain, learn from my life experiences, and ultimately find joy. Does that mean I cannot allow a friend to lift my spirits, provide me food for thought and food for my family, or offer me comfort? No. However, when I am in the process of trying to carry a crushing boulder, it is difficult for me to know what I need to do, let alone tell others how they can help.

My patent answer lately is, “Just pray.” Who couldn’t use a few extra pleas to God on their behalf? And I certainly have felt the sustaining power of those who have prayed, asked others to pray, and meditated for my family and for me.

A couple of days ago, the boulder I carry was nearly unbearable, and as I sat at my desk during my preparation period the disillusionment and depression became more than I could stand. I began to sob. Another teacher happened to walk in to check on me and, seeing my distress, took action to gather a team of “boulder bearers.” Within minutes, she had arranged for several colleagues to teach my remaining classes and ordered me, as sweetly as she could, to “go home.” That evening, with the contributions from another friend, she provided dinner for my family and sat with me for an hour, laughing and chatting about politics and Facebook foibles.

This was one of several recent supportive arms, reaching to help me carry my burdens. How blessed I am to be surrounded by loving and supportive people. Perhaps, the miracle I have been praying for has instead come in the form of an angelic army of loyal loved ones.

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

8 comments:

Amy said...

You are loved...and as always...this post has helped...in fact...I think of the show Private Practice...and how one gal on the show kept a journal about how she dealt day to day after attack where a gal cut her baby out of her tummy...anyway...she ended up having her journal published...knowing it would be helpful to others...so in a way...you are doing the same thing...and it's allowing us a peek at how we may help you and be supportive, but also allowing you to realize how your experience is helping others going thru a similar experience! thanks sweet friend!

Unknown said...

I think you are right about the differences between your load and your burdens, but being able to ask for help is not easy.

Anonymous said...

You are a very gifted writer! I love reading your blog and despite the sadness of the situation, I really enjoyed hanging out with you at your house. I think I might have to remind you about your new effort to accept help - like, maybe a gazillion times. I was just thinking that one of the reasons we're supposed to learn how to accept help is that whenever we are in a mode of thinking we can do everything for ourselves, we are unaware of our total dependence on Heavenly Father. No matter how many times I think I've learned that lesson, I find myself still trying to get to heaven (or anywhere else in my life) on will-power instead of through faith. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that this has much to do with your post, but I was thinking about this quote, because it's one of my favorites, and thought I would share!

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what he is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised.

But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is he up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house from the one you thought of — throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards.

You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but he is building up a palace. He intends to come and live in it himself."

--C.S. Lewis, in Mere Christianity

I think sometimes God's work in our lives can hurt and be quite painful, but I also believe He sees the bigger picture, and the things we are going through exist for a reason and to make us stronger. He wants us to lean on Him and allow Him to help us. He'll be the extra hands to help carry the boulder.

Hang in there! :)

Steph said...

@Anonymous on 1/14/11 at 1:31PM(from Maryland?),

I think your quote has EVERYTHING to do with my post. In fact, after I posted it, I realized this fact myself and wished I had included it as part of the original. I am grateful you took the time to read and share your thoughts.

I wish I knew who you were, as you are a regular visitor to my blog. Perhaps, if we know each other, you could send me a message on Facebook. If not, it's okay. Anonymity is fine--which is why I made it possible to post here without signing in or unveiling.

May you have a wonderful weekend. :)

kimber said...

Dear Steph's Fanny. Please write a book. I love it! You have inspired me.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I feel for you and the pain you are going through. I know the burden is extremely difficult to bear for you. It's OK to accept help. We offer because we care deeply and are concerned for our friend Steph.

john and steph said...

Stephanie, I have had brief opportunities to pop in and out of your family's life and have certainly been the benefactor. I wanted to add to this post the idea that we all have our strengths and one of the ways we all make it through to the eye of the storm is by leaning on those who are capable at that moment to be supportive. That buzz word synergy is maybe over used but it is real. I believe it to be equally noble to accept the guided help of someone who can give assistance as the one needing assistance to be guided to accept it. Both are edified, improved, and glorified. Christ does love us and we are important to Him is more than an oft quoted phrase. I learned that life changing lesson with M. and it has shaped my reality ever sense. I want to add my love for you and your family and will pray as was requested.